Comhairle na nÓg are local youth councils, which give children and young people the opportunity to be involved in the development of local services and policies.
Comhairle na Óg are overseen and part-funded by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs. The Department of Children and Youth Affairs has the lead role in ensuring that children and young people in Ireland have a voice on issues that affect their lives.
Delegates from Comhairle na nÓg are elected to represent their local area at the annual Dáil na nÓg (national youth parliament).
Many local authorities around the country are doing fantastic work with Comhairle na nÓg and involving children and young people in projects such as:
- the way future recreation facilities and youth cafes will be developed and managed;
- the development of playgrounds;
- encouraging active citizenship;
- promoting road safety among teenagers;
- highlighting health and safety on school buses;
- developing conservation and heritage plans.
Several of our Students are actively involved in Comhairle na Nóg and have gone to the AGM today, they are Alison Spalding, Rachel Maloney, Kaelin Smith & Robyn Mullen.